Thursday, June 23, 2011

Race Report: MNMBS #3 - Afton

I definitley stretched my limits of sanity last week. When I found out I was moving back to MN, I tried to scramble and get all arrangements in order so I could keep up some training and still keep the double header weekend planned of the Nebraska series on Saturday and MNMBS Afton on Sunday.

Well...as most know this stuff just doesn't always go to plan and they cracked...I tried to remain optimistic damn it but it didn't help!! Almost no training and loooooong days of moving stuff to a storage unit in 90 degree and high humid conditions killed any chance of racing Saturday...just too much...and that didn't include any spinning.

I was literally sore on Saturday night all over from the 4 days of moving. I knew Afton was going to be a bust, but a good jump start into good training again...when I say I knew Afton would be a bust though, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was- literally comical.

I rode really well- great lines through the tougher technical sections and pretty smooth and fast there. However, after about 2/3 through the first lap I was out of any usable max power completely. I could motor along in a high cadence endurance like efforts, but overall I was cooked. Laps 2 and 3 were simply just riding along in endurance mode just out for a cruise as any slightly sustained hard effort made the legs twist and scream, sometimes nearly lock up...my legs were pissed at what I was trying to put them through.

Apparently more than 3,700ft of climbing in less than 17 miles is what someone clocked for the Comp race...that combined with the heat- whew! it was tough out there! I like riding Afton because of the challenge- so the real bummer is that I just couldn't ride it like I normally can but oh well.

Hopefully soon I'll get another strong finish though! I'm thinking that the ProXCT stop in Mt. Morris this weekend is probably out for in lieu of some extra recovery, a nice long training ride (without travel time), and time to get things better organized here. So probably Buck Hill tonight and then for sure Red Wing on Sunday...with hopefully a nice long ride on Saturday somewhere on the dirt?? If the rain stays away??

1 comment:

Rhody said...

It was a tough race out there on Sunday especially with everything that you have going on. See you at Red Wing!