Friday, August 6, 2010

Race Report: Branched Oak Lake - First 2010 Win!

Got my first win in 2010! ...and placed second overall beating out some CAT 1 guys. They set us off in the same wave with same number of laps. Branched Oak Lake State Rec area is north of Lincoln about 10 miles. The loop is ~5 miles and we did 3 laps. This was a very different race for me.

The race pace started much slower than I’m used to. Sitting in 5th place about a 1/3 way into the first lap, I saw the leader gapping my group pretty hard. The next doubletrack power climb that came up, I dropped the hammer and spun myself up to 2nd place overall. The gap grew to about one minute in front and one minute behind me and that’s where it stayed. I only had to put in a few max efforts to keep the gap the same behind me. Since this race is more for training, I want to be fresh for the MNMBS/WORS Border Battle coming up on Sunday. No need to push it and crash. I won the CAT 2 division by a few minutes and first prize was a sweet set of Eggbeater pedals from Bike Pedalers Bike Shop in Lincoln. Awesome! In fact, seems like half the riders there had the white/blue Bike Pedalers jerseys on.

Earlier this week I moved the one good Racing Ralph to the front and picked up a Bontrager XR0 for the rear. This combo seemed to work pretty well. The XR0 definitely doesn’t have as much traction as the Ralph but is lighter, rolls faster, and grips plenty from what I can tell so far.

...lookin’ forward to a big competitive field on Sunday...Minnesota vs Wisconsin

No comments: