Monday, July 18, 2011

Race Report: MNMBS #6 - Mont Du Lac

Well...yeah so plans changed last minute...again. In my last post I mentioned feeling slightly sick and waking up early Saturday I wasn't quite ready yet. I had visions of having a so-so race and then being full-blown sick for the next few days because of my impatience to not race! So I skipped it, slept in, then after resting most of the day went out for a relatively easy couple hours on the road. That felt okay so went back and packed things up for what I knew was going to be a tough race near Duluth, MN...Mont Du Lac is also one of my favorite courses!

And tough it was for all...even just standing at the line it was hot and extremely humid. We did four laps with each having one long fire road climb that I made everytime, but not at the speeds I wanted. I tried out a new liquid fuel source (typically used in longer races)- which I think will work- but the rate of consumption needs to be worked on. I finished 3/4 of a bottle in the first 45 mins that I had originally set up for about 2-2 1/2 hrs worth...not good, and I was full...so full that it was hard to drink water! I sipped what I could and backed pace way down to try and stay reasonably hydrated until things settled and by the time it did, I was about mid third lap. Until then I had been in the small front ring for most of the race and lost soooooo much time on the others- but these are learning experiences. No mechanicals, flats, or crashes at least.

I'm still in marathon and ultra-endurance mode. Which can confuse my brain at times during the regular XC races for pacing strategies. While I do like to see better finishing positions in this series, right now I'm more into trying new things during these races to find out where all the limits are- including nutrition. So in that regard, technically Mont Du was a success in that I think I'm gonna like the new fuel source- provided I keep a closer eye on the intake of it, and the fact that in the last climbs of my 4th lap I was able to carry a larger gear and go faster than I had in previous laps.

Hopefully heat and humidity will dial down for this next weekend. On Saturday, there is a 4/8 hour 100% singletrack race at the Murphy-Hanrehan course in Savage, MN that I am currently planning to do the 8 hours solo...IF the heat and humidity dial down by then.

Thanks John Reinan for the bottle hand-ups!

Race on!

No comments: