Friday, May 22, 2015

First Race of 2015 - Buck Hill

First race of Buck Hill last night! Went out early to get some good training in for the upcoming race in Breckenridge on July 4th! Yep, fourth run at the Firecracker 50!

So, four laps of Buck Hill BEFORE the four lap race...feeling decent, definitely underpowered, but decent for those laps. THEN the race started...confusion of where the start line was so I ended up with a mid-pack starting spot on a steep hill. Not the greatest running a 2:1 geared Niner singlespeed!

3,2,1, GO! and go go gadget legs! Or not. I was able to maintain mid-pack status before the usual jam into the singletrack. Always funny to me is when you get one or two guys that are in Captain America status that go into the grass to go around everyone trying to get into the singletrack (as if we were just ride along slowly because we were bored). So this guy, was especially...special. When many of us began to call him out to get back in line...he began cursing us out, me in particular because he just happened to jam is bike's handlebars into mine. This is a fun, $10 entry fee, Thursday night race...competitiveness is one thing, but this guy was just a clown. And we were all back in about 50th place, haha!

Anyway, 2 laps into the race I'm beginning to feel the four lap "warm-up" and then the chain jumps off. This happened a few times over the next lap. Realized I must not have quite tightened up the tensioner. Jumped off (luckily having a 5mm allen in the pocket) tightened up and away I went. But I was done. I rode out the rest of the race at a leisurely pace. Legs were cooked anyway with the 2:1 gear and all the laps.

Totally a fun time overall and a GREAT race to get the motivation back again. Buck Hill has a lot of climbing in each lap and is always a good time. But, wow, I've got a lot of work to do over the next 6 weeks or so!

No comments: