Sunday, March 21, 2010

Great training day!

There was supposed to be a training race out at Branched Oak Lake State Park today. The snow we got on Friday...and melted yesterday...dampened the trails a lot! Yes the race was cancelled. I walked some of it before I headed back and this course is sooooo reminiscent of Salem Hills in Inver Grove Heights, MN (the course for the MNMBS series opener) I talked to one guy out there volunteering his efforts with others to build more singletrack onto the 4+ miles already there. He said there should be about 6.5 miles by end of summer - sweet!

So back to the apartment to grab the road bike...yeah nevermind...the streets are somewhat like northern Arizona...sand everywhere and potholes the size of the Grand Canyon. Out comes the Orbea with its new, hopefully non-skidding/non-legbreaking rear tire and away I go.

I decided the first thing I needed to do is hit that hill that Sarah found nearby...very, very nice...that got the heart pumping real quick. Omaha is hilly. When you reach the bottom of one, up comes another! and they cover some decent distance taking 2 to 5 minutes to get up. After you reach the top, the descents go by so quick that you dont recover from the previous climb before you get into the next! Awesome! Legs were burning pretty good keeping the gears at 14 or higher (out of 27). I must say my first ride on the streets of O'town was excellent! Can't wait to get out again!

The last few weeks have been a little off and on. Work has taken up a little more time. I was in Chicago (Schaumberg actually) last week for work...soooo no riding or training then. But the career track is going well here and thats been really nice.

No comments: