Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mount Evans – 14,130 feet

I did it! Got up early Monday morning and drove to Echo Lake (the base of the Mount Evans Park at 10,000ft), suited up, rode a mile to the park entrance, paid 3 bucks and off I go to climb one of Colorado’s beloved 14ers on a bike. This is also the highest paved road in North America!

I kept the pedaling efforts light because I wanted to be SURE I made it to the top…but the next time (oh yes there definitely will be a next time) I will kick it into some taller gearsI was surprised at how I adapted to the altitude, even got in a few sprints and went past about 20 other riders…not that anybody was racing…but still…I felt good! The grades aren’t crazy steep so the big factors were wind and little oxygen. Getting to the top was a challenging but very enjoyable ride. The views are amazing! …and some of the baffling looks you get from people in cars are priceless.

The ride down was fun… but the wind seemed the worst for me. Unpredictable crosswind gusts can really get the bike squirrelly underneath you, and can get a little freaky…particularly when going 30-40+ mph with 1,000ft+ drops only 3 or 4 feet to the side of you!!

I can’t wait to do this again! I want to take more pictures…and also ride there from Idaho Springs instead (starting at 7,600ft).

No comments: