Sunday, June 14, 2009

Overcoming Adversity

Well Thursday night at Buck Hill was an interesting evening for sure. My bike wasnt shifting right and skipping when I started the warm up. I noticed the remote lockout for the fork was interfering with the shifter - fixed that. 50 feet up the trail the chain snap...uugghhh, I fix that link at my car...25 feet away from the car a different link snaps...fix THAT link, and I pull up to the line with 30 seconds to start and basically no warm up. Wonderful.

The first lap was a bust obviously. The course is completely different from the previous weeks. No more longer gradual climb, now a bunch of shorter but steep climbs to the top - seemed to really shake up the field. Laps 2, 3, and 4 felt pretty good. The new course seemed like it was a harder effort with the steeper climbs but laps were much shorter. The top guys dropped about 2 minutes off avg lap times over last week and I dropped about 3 1/2 minutes so that felt pretty good! Surprisingly everything on the bike held together for a great finish!

I used a Crossmark front tire...I LOVED the grip - less braking, definitely carried more speed through turns. I also borrowed an 11-32 cassette for the race - really nice - could stay in the middle ring easily the whole time.

This weekend. With the bigger picture in mind I agreed with TJ that longer training hours would benefit me more than gearing up and racing at Mont Du Lac. Yesterday I went out for 3 hours on the road bike and got in some real solid intervals. Today was 3 1/2 laps at Hillside before the heat in those woods started to get to me. Hydration or not...it felt really hot out there!

Now I'm watching Rocky II on TV...man those Rocky movies are absolutley awesome for training motivation haha! I can't WAIT for Colorado! 5 days!

No comments: