Saturday, June 6, 2009

MNSCS #2 Afton...

The day was really nice – not a cloud in the sky and ~80 degrees. But wow, this race in Comp class is COMPLETELY different from the Sport class. Last year I finished in 1 hr 13 mins in Sport…this year 2 hours and 9 mins. One more lap and a lot more climbing involved in each lap also.

All things considered I felt good with the race. Two issues plagued throughout: gearing and my thumb injury. The injury is what it is – nothing I could really do about that – shifted with my right hand on both sides of the bars…yes, very awkward at times…Afton’s a bit rough and rocky for that!

The gearing issue was just stupid on my part. I wanted to try and force myself to pull a bigger gear and used a road cassette. Yeah, legs are not ready for that kind of work yet! I got killed bad on the Manhandler climb. On the first lap, I was feeling good about my position in the field until I got to that climb, then everybody passed me. I got up it crawling at a snails pace with my cadence super low just to get up it without walking. My legs were pumped up – took some crazy spinning to get them loosened up again – then time to play catch up. I did a little but couldn’t make up enough in the technical downhill sections for fear my left hand would not be able to hold the bars. Ugh.

Overall, though, the event was awesome. I’m happy where I placed with what I had to work with, I feel good – and really motivated! The race was fun! I really love that course. It’s been fun hanging out and getting to know other racers also.

On another note…I’m a bit confused at what MNSCS is doing with the Sport class: 2 laps, 10 miles total, shorter course than last year? …and the alternative is 3 laps, 19 miles total, and around 2 hours? Kind of strange, I mean…top Sport riders finishing in less than an hour is no bueno at any course if they are to be considered Cat 2 by USA Cycling. Give’em something to ride!! They should be riding the same stuff we do, only with less laps.

1 comment:

Rhody said...

Agreed - there shouldn't be that big of a jump from Sport to Comp. Nice work on the race - it's a brutal trail. Have fun out in CO. I just booked our place today for Nationals. We're staying in a private house in Winter Park. Can't wait for real mountain riding!