Monday, June 8, 2009

Riding and riding

Last Thursday I raced at Buck Hill again - second crack in the 'Advanced Class'. I reduced my average lap times by a significant amount over just one week earlier and the course was in worse shape (ie. MORE sand and dust). The rain we've gotten over the last few days will hopefully help that aspect out - we all looked like coal miners after the race. I had about 10 mins to warm up thanks to the MN DOT and their road construction on 35W during rush hour, so it took until about middle of lap 2 to really start hammering the XTR cranks. Everybody was gone already again though. I was pumped to get some good long rides in this weekend.

Saturday I ended up on the trainer with the Bianchi for about 2 hours with some intervals mixed in. No outside riding for me at 44 degrees and rain. Then Sunday...for some good endurance miles I decided 4 laps at Hillside. Thats stretching the legs, but it felt great! I'm feeling that ride today a little but some recovery miles made it go away. Good stuff - good momentum for more training. I'm really excited for Thursday again and hopefully with a better start. I'm looking to destroy the times I put up last week. I'm unsure about Mont Du Lac (MNSCS #3) this Sunday. I may stay in town and get a couple long rides in instead and get packed for Colorado - the next weekend (June 20th) will be my first race in the mountains this year at Crested Butte. I dunno though...Mont Du is really fun.

So, I was very skeptical about spending the extra coin to get a road bike. I'm glad I did. It really helps make training more fun when you're not riding the same bike all the time. Plus on the road the Bianchi is so fast - and so much twitchier with that head tube angle. Makes me think of auto racing analogies again. Definitely feels like an F1 car vs. a dirt Late Model. Hmmmm...maybe I might have to try a road race...kind of have Xterra on the brain too.

No comments: