Monday, February 28, 2011

Race Report: CIRREM

Terrible race. The weather did not come even close to what it was supposed to be- hovered around 13-14 degrees and was supposed to warm up to 30. Plus it snowed 3 inches the night before.

LOTS of 'cross bikes! Got to the starting line just as they said "go!" There were ~110 racers and I was in about 111th, but quickly (within the first couple miles) and without too much effort drafted my way up to about 25th and at the back of the lead group of about 35 at a harder but sustainable pace to start.

By mile 20, about 20 of that group had put a ~2 minute gap on the rest of us as we strung out into a few groups of 2 or 3, but I was getting pushed into a pace that I would not be able to hold til the end. From there I sat in the draft of others and held a good high paced tempo effort...until around mile 29 the lead guy slows up hard and stops to say "I think we missed a turn" ...uggghhh!!

I had 2 riders in front of me (drafting them) and ~4 behind me, plus my goggles were icing over from the SLEET so I was assuming the 2 in front of me either saw the lead group or saw the tracks. I guess they lost the lead group through a series of about 5 intersection turns in one mile (~40 in the race) so we ended up about a mile half out of the way - so 2 miles extra total. That sucked.

So the "race" was pretty much over for us then, but just kept going to use it as a great training ride. At the start of the race, I had prepared some food to eat while riding but had to take off my gloves after the halfway point not realizing how cold it was at speed and how much sweat was in my gloves...they froze...almost completely. From then on it was terrible- I had to slow so my gloves would warm up- then my feet got cold and never recovered- they got SO cold and numb and for real fear of frostbite at some points I had to get off the bike and walk/run just to get circulation going again. It was terrible.

Including our 2-3 mile "diversion" I reached the halfway point at about 2hrs 20 mins. The leaders were there at about 1 hr 54 mins. I finished around 5 1/12 hours- didn't look at the place or the time- didn't really care- couldn't feel my toes or fingers and just wanted heat.

So...positives? I felt good through about 3 hours- good pace- and in that time I think my fueling was sufficient. I cut up the cliff bars and that seemed to work well- could eat relatively easily when I wanted. 90% gatorade in the Camelback and one bottle filled with water worked well.

No comments: